Saturday, September 19

Almost Thanksgiving Casserole

I love Thanksgiving, don't you? I love the mashed potatoes, the stuffing, the turkey, the gravy, the pies, the family, the days off of work, the fall leaves, the crisp air...

Today I was reviewing my calendar for the next few months and got so excited when I realized how close Thanksgiving is! It is only 67 days away! Hooray!

So, to quench my Thanksgiving thirst, I looked through my pantry and food storage room to find things I could make that resembled this beloved holiday. Here are the results:

Almost Thanksgiving Casserole
(My very own "30 Minute Meal". Now that's MUCH faster than Thanksgiving cooking!)

Ingredients
5 medium Red Potatoes
1 box Stove Top Stuffing
1 can Chicken Chunks
1 can Cream of Chicken Soup
1/2 cup Grated Cheese
1/2 cup Milk
2 Tbs Butter
Lemon Pepper - to taste
Onion Powder - to taste
Garlic Powder - to taste
Garlic Salt - smidge

Directions
  1. Boil water for potatoes and for stuffing, in separate pots. (Do the amount it says on the box for the stuffing.)
  2. Cut potatoes into cubes. (I leave the skin on to save time and then cut into cubes because it cooks quicker.)
  3. Boil potatoes.
  4. Finish preparing stuffing according to the box directions. Set aside, but keep it in the pot.
  5. Combine chicken, cream of chicken soup, and half of the milk in a bowl. Add some of the seasonings to taste. Set aside.
  6. Mash potatoes with butter and the rest of the milk. Add seasonings to taste.
  7. In a cake pan, layer all the potatoes, then the stuffing, then the chicken mixture, and then sprinkle the cheese on top.
  8. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 12 minutes. (This is just to marry the flavors, warm the chicken mixture, and melt the cheese.)
A few pictures of the process and result:

I forgot to get a pic of the potato layer. But, the potatoes are under the stuffing.


Add the chicken mixture over the stuffing so everything is covered.


Sprinkle the cheese over the mixture. (My cheese looks weird because it was grated cheese from my freezer that hadn't quite thawed, yet.)


Nice and melted after 12 minutes in the oven. (Just enough time for me to clean the kitchen and the dishes!)

Boy was it yummy! (I licked the bowl. lol. j/k)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This is my kind of meal! I'm going to try it this week!

Cambric said...

i am so cooking this ASAP! i even have all the ingredients in my pantry! THAT NEVER HAPPENS! yummy!